(完整word版)高中英语必修三课文详解Book3-unit3
- 1、下载文档前请自行甄别文档内容的完整性,平台不提供额外的编辑、内容补充、找答案等附加服务。
- 2、"仅部分预览"的文档,不可在线预览部分如存在完整性等问题,可反馈申请退款(可完整预览的文档不适用该条件!)。
- 3、如文档侵犯您的权益,请联系客服反馈,我们会尽快为您处理(人工客服工作时间:9:00-18:30)。
必修三Unit 3 The Million Pound Band Note百万英镑
Act I, Scene 3
Narrator: It is the summer of 1903.这是1903年的夏天。Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet.两个年迈而富有的兄弟:罗德里克和奥利弗,进行打赌。【注释:make a bet 打赌eg. I’m good at making a bet on football 310.我擅长打足彩310。】Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note a man could survive a month in London.奥利弗认为一个拥有一百万英镑支票的人能在伦敦生存一个月。【注释:survive vi.幸存, 活下来eg. These plants cannot survive in very cold conditions.这些植物在严寒中不能存活。】His brother Roderick doubts it.他的哥哥对此怀疑。At this moment, they see a penniless yound man wandering on the pavement outside their house.就在这时,他们看见一位身无分文的年轻人正在他家外的人行道上徘徊。【注释:on the pavement徘徊街头,没有住处,被遗弃;wandering adj. 漫游的;闲逛的;(精神)恍惚的;错乱的eg. 1) wandering thoughts 错乱的思想2) I felt my attention wandering during the lecture.我感到听讲座时老走神。】It is Henry Adams, an American businessman, who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.它是亨利亚当姆斯,一位美国商人,他在伦敦迷路了,不知道该怎么做。【注释:be lost in全神贯注于;沉湎于;不胜…之至eg. Lost in thought/ contemplation , he ran into a pole by the roadside.】
Roderick: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?年轻人,进来坐一会?
Henry: Who? Me, sir?谁?是我吗,先生?【注释:step inside进入eg. Step inside. Let's get something to eat.进来吧!咱们弄点东西吃。】
Roderick: Yes, you.是的,就是你!
Oliver:Through the front door on you left.通过你左边的前门进来。
Henry:(A servant opens a door) Thanks.(仆人开了一扇门)谢谢!
Servant: Good morning, sir. Would you please come in? Permit me to lead the way, sir.早上好!先生。请进!请允许我带路,先生!
Oliver:(Henry enters) Thank you, James. That will be all.(亨利走了进来)谢谢,詹姆斯,好的。Roderick: How do you do, Mr… er…?你好!…嗯…先生。
Henry:Adams. Henry Adams.亚当姆斯,亨利亚当姆斯
Roderick: Come and sit down, Mr Adams.来坐下,亚当姆斯先生。
Henry:Thank you.谢谢。
Roderick: You’re American?你是美国人?
Henry:That’s right, from San Francisco.是的,从旧金山来。
Roderick: How well do you know London?你对伦敦很熟悉吗?
Henry:Not at all, it’s my first trip here.一点了不熟悉,这是我第一次来这。
Roderick: I wonder, Mr Adams, if you’d mind us asking a few questions.亚当姆斯先生,我想知道你是否介意我问你几个问题?
Henry:Not at all. Go right ahead.一点都不介意,你请问!
Roderick: May we ask what you’re doing in this country and what your plans are?我可否问一下你在这个国家做什么?你的计划是什么?
Henry: Well, I can’t say that I have any plans. I’m hoping to find work. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.唉,我说我没有什么计划。我希望找个工作。事实上,我是偶然踏上英国的。【注释:as a matter of fact事实上, 其实eg. As a matter of fact, I didn't have anything.事实上, 我什么也没有。】
Roderick: How is that possible?那怎么可能呢?
Henry:Well, you see, back home I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay … (his eyes stare at what is left of the brother’s dinner on table)唉,你瞧,回到家,我有自己