打破旧想法,以不同的眼光看世界,自我反省自我批判![双语]
- 1、下载文档前请自行甄别文档内容的完整性,平台不提供额外的编辑、内容补充、找答案等附加服务。
- 2、"仅部分预览"的文档,不可在线预览部分如存在完整性等问题,可反馈申请退款(可完整预览的文档不适用该条件!)。
- 3、如文档侵犯您的权益,请联系客服反馈,我们会尽快为您处理(人工客服工作时间:9:00-18:30)。
I want to talk to you about what is next for your mind.
我想和你谈谈你下一步的想法。
The point of my address is to ask you a very simple question.
我演讲的目的是问你一个非常简单的问题。
Are you an intellectual?
你是知识分子吗?
I'm asking this question because you need to know that having a doctorate does not make you an intellectual.
我问这个问题是因为你需要知道,拥有博士学位并不意味着你就是一个知识分子。
Becoming a professor does not make you an intellectual.
成为教授不意味着你就是一个知识分子。
Working in a research lab does not make you an intellectual.
在研究实验室工作不意味着你就是一个知识分子。
Just like there are MDs who are not healers.
就像有些医学博士却不是治疗师。
Just like there are reverends who are not about God.
就像有些虔诚的人却不信仰上帝。
Do not become that person.
不要成为那样的人。
No doctorate degree is required to join the intellectual academy.
进入知识学院不需要博士学位。
This is an inclusive academy with all types of people coming from all types of backgrounds.
这是一个包容性的学院,所有人都来自不同的背景。
There are people with only a GED, there are incarcerated people, there are homeless people in this intellectual academy, there are poor people in this intellectual academy.
有些人只有普通文凭,有人被监禁,有人无家可归,也有穷人。
So when I say intellectual, I'm not referring to someone who knows a wealth of information.
所以当我说知识分子的时候,我不是指那些有大量知识的人。
All of you, I'm sure, know a lot.
我相信你们都知道很多。
I do not measure a person's intellect based on how much a person knows.
我不以一个人知道多少来衡量他的智力。
How much you know has no bearing on how much you are an intellectual.
你知道多少与你是否为知识分子无关。
I define and many others define, an intellectual as someone with a tremendous desire to know.
和很多人一样,我认为知识分子是一个有着强烈求知欲的人。
Intellectuals have a tremendous capacity to change their minds on matters, to self reflect, to self critique.
知识分子有巨大的能力改变他们对事物的看法,自我反省,自我批判。
Intellectuals are only governed by one special interest.
知识分子只受一种特殊利益的支配。
And that special interest is really self serving.
这种特殊的兴趣其实是自私的。
And that special interest is finding and revealing the truth.
这种特殊的兴趣在于发现和揭示真相。
How many of you have a tremendous desire to know?
你们有多少人有强烈的求知欲?
How many of your minds are wide open to new ideas?
你们有多少人对新思想持开放的态度?
How many of you are searching for ideas that challenge how you see the wor
ld?
你们有多少人在寻找挑战你看待世界方式的想法?
How many of you are willing to look differently at the world with the blink of new evidence?
你们有多少人愿意以不同的眼光看待这个世界?
How many of you are critiquing your own ideas as intensely as you critique the ideas of others?
你们当中有多少人会像批判别人的观点一样,强烈地批判自己的观点?
Intellectuals are a nomadic people.
知识分子是一个游牧民族。
Constantly changing their conceptual location.
不断改变他们的概念位置。
Constantly in search of a better conceptual space.
不断寻找更好的概念空间。
You know we have work out warriors of the body.
你知道我们有锻炼身体的战士。
Those who pump iron to break down old muscles to allow newer and bigger and better muscles to grow in their place.
那些通过举重来替换老肌肉,让自己拥有更新、更大、更好肌肉的人。
Well, intellectuals are work out warriors of the mind.
知识分子是思想的战士。
Regularly breaking down old ideas to allow new ideas and bigger ideas and better ideas to grow in their place.
定期打破旧的想法,让新的想法、更大的想法和更好的想法取代。
Are you an intellectual?
你是知识分子吗?