像美国人一样说英语23:Bob Has a Surprise Visitor

合集下载
  1. 1、下载文档前请自行甄别文档内容的完整性,平台不提供额外的编辑、内容补充、找答案等附加服务。
  2. 2、"仅部分预览"的文档,不可在线预览部分如存在完整性等问题,可反馈申请退款(可完整预览的文档不适用该条件!)。
  3. 3、如文档侵犯您的权益,请联系客服反馈,我们会尽快为您处理(人工客服工作时间:9:00-18:30)。

像美国人一样说英语23:Bob Has a

Surprise Visitor

Lesson 23Bob Has a Surprise Visitor

鲍勃有意外来客

Bob's former boss Peter, from the furniture store, comes to visit. He offers Bob his old job back, but Bob's not interested.

鲍勃的前老板、家私店的皮特上门来拜访。他想把鲍勃招回原职,但鲍勃不感兴趣。

Peter: Hi Bob. I was just in the neighborhood so I thought I'd stop by.

嗨,鲍勃,我正好在附近就想顺便来拜访一下。

Bob:Come on in.Take a cookie.

进来吧。吃块饼干吧。

Peter:Thanks. I'm glad to see you're not holding a grudge against me for firing you.

谢谢。我很高兴看到你没有因为我解雇你而对我怀恨在心。

Bob:Not at all. At first, it burned me up.But I feel better now.

完全不存在。一开始,我倒是怒火中烧,但现在我没那么生气了。

Peter:Good. I'm glad you have no hard feelings.How

would you like your old job back?

那太好了。很高兴见你没有埋怨情绪。你想不想挽回原来的工作?

Bob:What happened to your wonderful new manager?

你那个出色的新经理出什么事儿了?

Peter: She drank at work. By five o'clock, she'd be lying under a dining room table, three sheets to the wind.Yesterday, I finally got rid of her.

她上班时饮酒。到了五点钟,就会躺在一张饭桌下,喝得酩酊大醉。昨天,我终于把她炒掉了。

Bob:Let me get this straight.You replaced me with some crazy woman who got plastered every day on the job?

那请恕我直言。你就用这么个每天在上班时喝得烂醉的疯女人取代了我(把我炒了)?

Peter:Yeah, I lost my head.

是的,我昏头了。

Bob:I don't think you lost your head. I just think you've got rocks in your head!

我可不觉得你是昏头了。我只是觉得你脑子有病。

Peter:Bob, I'm trying to level with you.I never should've let you go.

鲍勃,我就跟你说实话吧。我不该解雇你的。

Bob:No use crying over spilt milk.

事已如此,后悔也是枉然。

Peter:So you'll come back and work for me?

那你回来给我工作吗?

Bob:Not on your life! Susan and I are very well off now. We just sold our new company for a small fortune!

你别想了!苏珊和我现在有钱了。我们刚刚以不菲的价钱卖掉了我们的新公司。

口语笔记:* At first: in the beginning 一开始,最初* (to) burn someone up: to make someone angry 激怒,使大怒* Come on in: enter 进来吧* (to) get plastered: to get drunk 喝醉* (to) get rid of: to free oneself of; to throw out 摆脱,除去,丢掉* (to) get (something) straight: to clarify; to understand 讲清楚;弄清楚;搞明白;恕我直言* (to) hold a grudge against (someone): to stay angry with someone about a past offense 对某人怀恨在心* (to) let (someone) go: to fire; dismiss employees 解雇某人* (to) level with (someone): to speak openly and honestly with someone 对……说实话;直言相对* (to) lose one's head: to lose control of one's behavior; to not know what one is doing 失去理智;慌张失措;冲动;没主意* No hard feelings: no anger; no bitterness 没有埋怨情绪;无恶感* No use crying over spilt milk: there's no point in regretting something that's too

late to change 覆水难收;事已如此,后悔也是枉然。* Not on your life: definitely not 绝对不行,你休想* On the job: at work 在工作* Small fortune: a good amount of money 一大笔钱;巨款* (to) stop by: to pay a quick visit 串门* Three sheets to the wind: drunk 喝醉的;酩酊大醉* Well off: wealthy, financially secure 富有的,富裕的

相关文档
最新文档